What is Botox?
Botox, short for botulinum toxin, is a substance that blocks signals sent by the nerves in your muscles. This prevents them from contracting and causing wrinkles and other common cosmetic issues. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved Botox for cosmetic use in 2002. It has undergone a purification process from its original form and is completely safe as an anti-aging treatment.
The Botox Injection Process
Since your face has 43 distinct muscles, you and your doctor will discuss the most appropriate ones to target during a Botox injection. The procedure involves a doctor injecting the Botox into a targeted muscle group. Your natural facial expressions remain intact. You will feel a slight sting like the sensation of an insect bite. The Botox ingredients travel directly to the targeted muscle group that sits below your top skin layer.
Although your face might feel mildly sore, Botox injections typically don’t require a recovery period. We only recommend that you not lie down for approximately five hours after a Botox injection. The bruising and red dots that may appear should vanish within two days. You should see noticeable results within one week of your treatment at our Orange City, Florida Botox injection clinic.
Areas We Treat with Botox
The doctors at Jena Medical offer Botox injections on several areas of the face. These include the following:
- Bunny Lines: These are horizontal wrinkles that form across the ridge on your nose. It’s common to have more than one bunny line. The term originates from the well-known twitchy and wrinkled noses of bunny rabbits.
- Crow’s Feet: If you look at the corner of your eyes, you may notice a patch of small wrinkles that start in the corner and move outwards.
- Dimpled Chin: Most people find dimples adorable in children, but may not like them so much on themselves as an adult. A chin dimple is a marked indentation in your chin, usually located in the center.
- Eye Brow Shaping: Plucking and tweezing your eyebrows can be painful and expensive. You can keep them in the desired place semi-permanently with a Botox injection.
- Forehead Shaping: Forehead shaping with Botox involves removing lines around the eyes and those set into the forehead for a softer appearance.
- Glabellar Complex: These are wrinkles set between your eyes that can make it look like you have a permanent scowl.
- Gummy Smile: Do you have too much gum and too little teeth when you smile? Botox temporarily paralyzes the upper lip muscles to prevent this.
- Lips/Smokers Lines: Smoking can leave unsightly lines around your lips long after you quit. Aging can have the same effect.
- Marionette Lines: These lines run from the corners of your mouth to your chin and tend to become more pronounced with age.
- Platysma/Neck lines: The platysma neck muscle weakens with age, causing deeply set horizontal wrinkles and lines.
Compared to plastic surgery, Botox is fast, nearly painless, and inexpensive. We serve clients in Orange City as well as Debary, Deland, Deltona, and the surrounding communities in Florida. Please call to schedule an appointment or walk in for a Botox injection today.